Aerosol Spray Paint Fire and Burns - Indiana #1
A woman was preparing to spray paint wicker furniture. Following logo-type instructions on the aerosol cap, she attempted to remove the cap with a screwdriver. The screwdriver punctured the can and it suddenly released all it contents into the room. A pilot light on a gas water heater ignited the propane/butane propellant and flammable solvents. The woman received severe burns on her legs and feet.
| The technical issues in the case
include labeling, the logo-type instructions to open the can, the nature
of the propellants, alternative propellants, and the metallurgical nature
of the can itself.
Dr. Fox is also a Certified Fire & Explosion Investigator who is also an aerosol expert. He made presentations at national societies on the fire and explosion hazards associated with aerosols and has published several peer-reviewed, scientific papers on the failure of aerosols.
©2005 CHEMAXX, INC